Launched last March 13, 2017, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) organized the IDEA HACK which challenges participants to create and develop solutions related to the improvement of quality of road crash data collection and reporting in the country.
This competition is a complement to the UN Decade of Action goal of reducing 50% of global road fatalities by 2020.
About the event
The IDEA HACK Competition encourages creative use of ICT, digital media , and road data in addressing one of the problem statements in road safety. These solutions can be apps, platforms, websites, visualizations, advocacy campaigns, paper prototypes, maps etc. The challenge aims to use the DRIVER platform in creating solutions to improve road safety in the country such as, but not limited to the following:
- Create visualizations/guides on how to use the DRIVER platform;
- Create an app that will show real-time road safety statistics;
- Create a platform which allows citizen reporting for road crashes and combines data from DRIVER
- Create visualizations to help the public understand and respond to crash data;
- Improve emergency medical response services for road crash victims; and
- Develop an advocacy campaign which emphasizes the need for data to make evidence-based decisions on road safety.
Submission Deadline: March 17, 2017, 6:00 p.m. (extended to 12nn of March 18)
IDEA HACK Program
March 18: Award Dinner at Ballroom Ruby AB
- 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.: Finalist presentations, judging and voting, next steps
- 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.: Networking awards dinner (Limited space – register early to secure a space!)
Criteria for judging
The entries will be judged by the committee with following criteria:
- Innovation and Uniqueness (35 %). Does it communicate efficiently and effectively? Is it different from other apps currently available?
- Potential social value and market (35 %). Does it bring value to drivers, pedestrians, and residents? What are you contributing to the improvement of society?
- Usability – UI and Quality Experience (30 %). Is the app easy to navigate? Is the idea properly executed? Is the interface clear and simple? Does the app work in a way the user would expect?
Applications will be selected and awarded for the following categories:
- Grand Prize: Php 90,000 and other prizes
- Second Place: Php 60,000 and other prizes
- Third Place: Php 30,000 and other prizes
- How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Please present a printed ticket or a ticket saved in your phone.
Only those with tickets will be allowed inside event venue.
- Can I update my registration information?
Yes, you can!
- Do I have to attend the workshop to participate in the contest?
Not necessarily, but at least one team member must be present during the launch on March 13.
- Can you join the contest if you can’t make the award ceremony?
ALL team members must be present in the awarding on March 18.